Please notify the following individuals about returning to campus if you are in quarantine or test positive for COVID. We understand that local healthcare providers may provide you with a timeline to self-isolate or quarantine that differs from those provided to you by SMCC.
You are responsible for all coursework while in isolation or quarantine. You must contact your instructors and let them know you are in isolation or quarantine so they can provide you with your assignments. Failure to do this and continue in your course may result in a failing grade.
Protocol for Testing, Reporting Symptoms, and/or Exposure
Confirmed Positive COVID
Symptoms Confirmed Negative
No Symptoms Close Contact of a COVID Case
If student test is positive, student must remain self-isolated from the day of being tested or the student meets the following criteria:
**Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recover and need not delay the end of isolation
Immediate isolation until at least 24 hours have passed since last symptoms and fever-free without use of medications
Notify firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com that you are required to quarantine. They will assist you with determining when it is safe to return to the classroom, on campus housing, and/or student activities.
June 19, 2020 Covid-19 Update
SMCC officials continue to monitor and evaluate information regarding Covid-19. Helping maintain a safe environment for students, faculty, staff, and the community is a priority. Therefore, SMCC will continue to utilize best practices recommended by the Centers of Disease Control (CDC), the Governor’s Office, and Mississippi Department of Health.
- Social distancing of at least 6 feet
- Cloth face coverings when social distancing is difficult
- Temperature (below 100.4) and symptom screening (cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, loss of taste and smell) prior to arrival
- Student temperature screening upon arrival
- Signs posted as reminders about social distancing
- Frequent disinfecting of surfaces frequently touched
- Staying home if you have tested positive for Covid-19 or awaiting test results
- Staying home if you or someone in your home has been exposed to Covid-19 within the last 14 days
- Limiting nonessential visitors, activities involving external groups, and organizations utilizing indoor facilities
Southwest Mississippi Community College offices will be open to the public on June 1, 2020 and will begin on-campus summer courses June 2, 2020. To help ensure the safety and wellbeing of students, faculty, staff, and visitors, SMCC will utilize the following guidelines:
· Faculty, staff, and students should wear face coverings when social distancing is difficult
· Students will be seated at least 6 feet apart and once seated, they may remove their face covering
· Students who do not have face coverings, will be provided with one
· Faculty and staff should self-check their temperature prior to arriving for work
· Students will be screened each morning for a temperature when entering the building