Test of Essential Academic Skills
All students making application for admission to the Southwest Mississippi Community College Associate Degree Nursing Program (SMCC ADN) must take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) prior to application deadline as part of the admission process. The SMCC Proctor Center will offer the TEAS test. There are limited seats available for each date so it is recommended students register early. For students who cannot come to the SMCC campus, they can schedule to take the TEAS at a PSI Test Center. Only TEAS tests taken after September 2016 will be accepted.
The following information explains how to registered for the test:
- To register for TEAS testing at SMCC, go to www.atitesting.com and scroll down on the right side of the page to click on "Register for TEAS."
- The proctor center is in Kenna Hall, room 211, on the top floor. Please email email@example.com or fill out the online proctored exam form at least 24 hours in advance. Any forms or emails submitted to the test proctors after the testing hours for the day have ended will not be answered until the next day.
- The proctors will be working in other offices when not testing. They will meet you in Kenna 211 if they receive your emailed request.
- You will need to bring a photo ID.
- To register for TEAS testing at a PSI Test Center, go to www.atitesting.com and scroll down on the right side of the page and click on “Register for TEAS with PSI.”
Why do I need to take the TEAS Test?
The TEAS test was developed by the Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) specifically for nursing programs to measure essential skills that are the foundation for nursing programs. The test identifies entry level skills deemed important by a panel of nursing program curriculum experts. The student has an opportunity to take steps to improve academic skills if needed before applying to nursing school.
What should I score in order to be considered academically ready?
A score of 60% or greater in each of these areas is recommended. The higher the score, the greater amount of admission criteria points awarded.
When should I take the TEAS?
The dates, times, and locations are posted on the ATI testing website. The student is responsible for scheduling the test throughwww.atitesting.com and the SMCC proctoring center, if taking at SMCC.
How many times can I take the TEAS?
The TEAS test can only be taken up to 3 times. To retake the TEAS test, the student will need to repeat the scheduling process. Students are responsible for attaching the TEAS score they want reviewed for admission to their ADN application. The test can take up to three and a half hours.
How should I prepare for the TEAS test?
ATI (www.atitesting.com or 1.800.667.7531) has an online store that offers a study package or just online practice tests that you can purchase with a credit or debit card.
What should I do if there is bad weather, ice storm, disaster, etc. occurring on the day I’m scheduled for TEAS?
As part of the ATI registration process, you will be required to enter a phone number and email address. The faculty at the SMCC ADN Program will have this information and will make every effort to call the number you’ve listed, as well as, sending you an email telling you the plans for the testing day. The faculty will alert you as soon as the SMCC Administration announces a decision regarding opening or closing the campus for classes and testing.