Graduation Information

Sophomore students should apply for graduation by one week after the last day to add a course during the semester that the student expects to graduate in a particular program of study to ensure the diploma arrives in time for the commencement exercises. Southwest Mississippi Community College awards the associate of art degree and the associate of applied science degree as well as certificates in certain vocational technical programs.

Graduation Process

  1. Apply for graduation
    1. Make sure all transcripts are on file in the Registrar’s Office if you have transfer credits.
    2. Get an advisor to complete an application for graduation.
    3. After the student and advisor have signed the application, turn it in at the Registrar’s Office.
  2. Get measured for cap and gown.
  3. Once the degree application has been received, it will be processed according to current grades.
  4. After final grades are posted on transcripts, the degree application will be processed again to
    determine if requirements have been met. If you do not meet graduation requirements, you will be notified.
  5. Attend graduation practice.
  6. Attend the graduation ceremony.

Graduation Ceremony

There will be a graduation meeting and practice session that will explain the graduation ceremony. We encourage you to attend all practices and/or graduation related meetings.

Graduation Honors

Certificate Programs

Students graduating from a certificate program with a cumulative program GPA from 3.5 to 3.99 will graduate with honors. Those with a cumulative program GPA of 4.00 will graduate with highest honors.

Degree Programs:

Students in an Associate of Arts or Associate of Applied Science degree program who attain a cumulative GPA from 3.40 to 3.499 will graduate with distinction; those who attain a GPA from 3.50 to 3.749 will graduate with honors; those who attain a cumulative GPA from 3.75 to 3.999 will graduate with high honors; and those who attain a cumulative GPA of 4.0 will graduate with highest honors.

Those students in a degree program who attain highest honors will receive a silver tray at the graduation ceremony.

Replacement Diploma Request Form

There is not a fee for your original diploma; this is covered in the Student Service fee you pay at the time of enrollment. If you need a replacement diploma, you may purchase an additional copy for a fee. Contact the Registrar’s Office in order to do so.